Simple Backup question.

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 16:12:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Maxime Alarie <malarie at processia.com> wrote:

>  Good day,
>

> I have a quick question for administrators.  Not sure if it’s the right
> mailing list as this is my first post.
>

> I have a ubuntu Server:  Ubuntu 9.1 Server Edition – No GUI
>

> I normally do a full backup of my ubuntu  webserver   (/var/www/) using a
> cronjob and tar | gzip ,  The backup is about 1.23GB in size everyday..
>

> Since we’ll be putting more stuff on this webserver, a full backup everyday
> is a little bit over the top, so I would like to start using incremental
> backups in order to save space.
>

> Problem is Im not  too familiar  with incremental backups. My thought is to
> use *tar  *with *  mtime 1.  But I am not sure how to handle the rest*.
>   Any of you are used to work with incremental backups?
>
> I plan to do a Full Backp  every week, then incremental on week-days.

I use backuppc <http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html> to do
that, and I like it.
It can be used to backup your system, or just to backup your databases daily
backups (Am I making sense to you?)

> Last Question about the restore..
>

> *Scenario:*
>

> We’re Thursday, and I want to  do a restore..  The Full backup was taken on
> Monday, but incremental were taken every  nights..
>
> I Only have to restore the Full Backup and the incremental backup from last
> night?

backuppc handles this matter different.

In "classical" backups, the answer depends on the incremental backup level.
An incremental of level N stores the differents against the existent backup
with "higher less than N" level (and you may think of a full backup as the
level 0)

To simplify,

if you made the full on Monday, then a level 1 on Tue, a level 2 on Wed,
you'll have to restore them all in that order

But
if you made the full on Monday, then a level 3 on Tue, a level 2 on Wed,
you'll have to restore the full and only the level 2 incremental of Wed only
(level 2 was made against the full, not against the Tue level 3)

If that's what you were asking for, you may take a look (forget the dump
command, just look at the explanation on levels) at
http://surf.ap.seikei.ac.jp/~nakano/dump-restore/dump-restore-mini-HOWTO.en.html#ss4.1<http://surf.ap.seikei.ac.jp/%7Enakano/dump-restore/dump-restore-mini-HOWTO.en.html#ss4.1>

Regards