Simple Backup question.

Maxime Alarie malarie at processia.com
Tue Apr 6 14:37:19 UTC 2010

Good day,

I have a quick question for administrators.  Not sure if it's the right
mailing list as this is my first post.

I have a ubuntu Server:  Ubuntu 9.1 Server Edition - No GUI

I normally do a full backup of my ubuntu  webserver   (/var/www/) using
a cronjob and tar | gzip ,  The backup is about 1.23GB in size
everyday..

Since we'll be putting more stuff on this webserver, a full backup
everyday is a little bit over the top, so I would like to start using
incremental backups in order to save space.

Problem is Im not  too familiar  with incremental backups. My thought is
to use tar  with   mtime 1.  But I am not sure how to handle the rest.
Any of you are used to work with incremental backups?

I plan to do a Full Backp  every week, then incremental on week-days.

Last Question about the restore..

Scenario:

We're Thursday, and I want to  do a restore..  The Full backup was taken
on Monday, but incremental were taken every  nights..

I Only have to restore the Full Backup and the incremental backup from
last night?

Regards