Thunderbird - Missing Calendar

Fred Roller fred at fwrgallery.com
Tue Apr 6 13:11:55 UTC 2010

Before starting, I am just looking for additional information or leads
to fix this.  Chiefly a time line of release for _64.

I recently upgraded to lucid on an Acer Aspire 7520 w/ an athalon x 2_64
processor.  During the recovery portion of the build; where I install my
specific software and relink directories, I replaced Evolution w.
Thunderbird as usual

     sudo apt-get purge evolution
     sudo apt-get install thunderbird lightning-extention
     ln -s [protected partition] .thunderbird/[replace.default]
     vi .thunderbird/profile.ini         # necessary edit, otherwise you
get a "thunderbird already running" error

What I have found on my own[1], thus far, is that thunderbird 3 doesn't
work with lightening .9, which is what is currently in the lucid
repositories:

     froller at metis:~$ sudo apt-cache show thunderbird
     Package: thunderbird
     [snip]
     Architecture: amd64
     Version: 3.0.4+nobinonly-0ubuntu1
                      ^

     froller at metis:~$ sudo apt-cache show lightning-extension
     [sudo] password for froller:
     Package: lightning-extension
     [snip]
     Architecture: amd64
     Source: lightning-sunbird
     Version: 0.9+nobinonly-0ubuntu3
                    ^

Lighning 1.0 beta1 from here

     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/

does work with tb3, according to various comments around the web[1].
What I would like to know is:

     1. Will Lightning 1.0 be added to the Ubuntu repositories by 29 April?
             In particular, for _64 architecture?

     2. Is there a Lightning 1.0_64 beta out there?  # Still searching
myself, just would like extra eyes.

If the answer to 1. is no then I suggest you copy your
.mozilla-thunderbird/[your_mail_directory].default someplace safe
berfore upgrading to Lucid.  There are work arounds; chiefly installing
tb 2 + lightning .9

If I am incorrect, please point me in the right direction so that I may
get my calendars back on Lucid.  Other wise hope this helps others
better prepare.

[1]
http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/does_lightning_extension_work_in_thunderbird_3
     #plus others, this link seemed to summarize my searches best.
**

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."