Ubuntu 10.04 BETA1 (Lucid)

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Apr 6 03:09:05 UTC 2010

On 04/05/2010 10:02 PM, NoOp wrote:

[snip]

> Fred, aren't you still having issues with your graphics?
>    From: "Fred A. Miller"
>    Subject: nVidia
>
> Seems to me that you may have missed this part:
>
> <quote>
> Known issues
>
> As is to be expected at this stage of the release process, there are
> several known bugs that users are likely to run into with Ubuntu 10.04
> Beta 1. We have documented them here for your convenience along with any
> known workarounds, so that you don't need to spend time reporting these
> bugs again:
>
>      * Because of the new alternatives system used for nvidia driver
> packages, the nvidia installer from NVIDIA's website currently doesn't
> work.
> </quote>

Thanks for pointing that out....didn't see it when I looked.

> FYI: mine work just fine (nvidia-96 - but I've been *testing* 10.04 for
> some time&  it took awhile for that driver to get sync'ed in.

'Might be a difference in the compiling.....don't know. But, because of
your success, I had to try to get it to work.

> Mr. "Grizzly" seems somewhat new to Ubuntu (first post on this list on
> 02/18/20010). Do you really think it wise to reply that he/she "can
> upgrade.....I did one 2 days ago....64-bit."?

I'm sure I know Grizz, and if so, I think he'll be fine. Most I'd recommend
that they wait till release. I don't normally recommend to anyone "new"
that they upgrade to a beta release of anything. I'll beat up on my own
systems before I put it in use for clients. I've been testing some
commercial
software, by the way. Vuescan won't run yet....still working on that.
Turboprint DOES work, even though the monitor daemon crashes.

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'