Ubuntu 9.10 Hangs Frequently

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 6 02:56:09 UTC 2010

On 04/05/2010 07:30 PM, MirJafar Ali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Even this time also, after following ur instructions, I don't get Kernel
> updated. Still uname -a and boot gives the old
> kernel and machine hanging is becoming pathetic. I think I made a bad
> judgement of upgrading ubuntu to 9.10.

No. At least now you are not getting the 18 packages witheld from before
(and sorry about the 'sudo grub-update' vs 'sudo update-grub' mixup -
glad you caught that.

So perhaps it is time to try Goh's suggestion of reinstalling grub. He
suggested:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Before you do that, can you please provide the output of:

$ grub-install -v

and

$ sudo fdisk -l

Thanks.