Real 10.04 in 30 days

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 19:57:33 UTC 2010

     There has been a lot of questions about "can I update 9.04 to Lucid
Beta1" ? I say this is an LTS version of Ubuntu and I would suggest you
want a clean partition to load 10.04 as I did. I expect this fine
version will be what I use for at least a year, maybe 2 or 3.

     On May 1 2010 you should be able to d/l the full 10.04 Lucid cd-rom
which I plan to get and put it on my laptop as the only Ubuntu on that.
I do use the laptop as a backup for this main computer.

     I started with 10.04 Alpha 1 a few months ago and have been getting
updates every day. I think this is a poor way to do things, in most
cases. With 10.04 it has been a pleasure! I have used this version
longer than most.

     A word about how you can make 10.04 look like you want it to. The
first time I turned on 10.04 it had a brown background and edging. It
had a sound icon which let you set the sound level. As the updates
followed my background changed to a purple, and the Terminal had a
purple background you could see through and the characters were yellow!

     I went through the adjustments and got back the brown background
and then fiddled with the Terminal and got it back with a white
background and black characters. But still no return of the sound icon.
I am sure by May 1 2010 they will have the sound icon working and even
more features. I suggest you just wait 30 days and get the full 10.04
which will give you a great Ubuntu the first day!

73 Karl