Ubuntu 10.04 BETA1 (Lucid)

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 5 13:21:27 UTC 2010

This is not meant to provoke a desktop or a distro war, so read it in
this light.

As a user of another distro for many years, and a fervent user of the
KDE desktop [Gnome - ugh!], I thought that it would be a very good idea
to "get some fresh air" and try something different. So, a few weeks ago
I installed Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic). Been quite happy with it - but not
all that enthused, if you know what I mean.

Then today I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid).

Now, Ubuntu Lucid has blown me away!

The Gnome desktop environment is damn good! I am *i-m-p-r-e-s-s-e-d*!
:-) :-) Most impressed, in fact, and cannot wait to see Beta2 in a few
days time.

I can watch my TV (DVB), play my DVDs, use the latest versions of
Firefox and Thunberbird (this post is written in Lucid), play my games
in between commercials.......what else does a body want, I ask you? :-)

Mind you , there are a few little annoyances which I will ask for some
help with at a later stage but overall Ubuntu Lucid is marvellous - and
it appears to be rock solid even though it is only Beta1! :-)

BC