aptitude supposed to uninstall old kernel

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Mon Apr 5 06:51:56 UTC 2010

Just ran apt-get update/upgrade on my Hardy installation. A number of
packages were held back so I ran aptitude dist-upgrade and was informed
that the 2.6.24-27 kernel would be installed and the 2.6.24-26 would be
uninstalled. When the upgrade was done I rebooted and saw 2.6.24-26 was
still listed in the boot menu. Just for the hell of it I chose it and lo
and behold it booted and ran fine. Looked through synaptic and saw all
the header and image packages for both kernels are still installed. Did
aptitude lie to me? I was under the impression that aptitude
dist-upgrade removed unused/orphan packages.

Anyone care to educate me?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279