How to disable a Ram Swap permanently

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Apr 5 03:23:58 UTC 2010

Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 08:30:26PM +0000, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> On 03/10/2010 04:36 AM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/karmic/en/man2/swapon.2.html
>>>
>>> Hakan had suggested:
>>> To increase the prioirity, change the last column of your /etc/fstab
>>> swap definitions.
>>> Rashkae pointed out that is wrong. To do so would be changing the
>>> fs_passno value.
>> Let's just read the man page and move on. Teaches me a lesson: never
>> give an advice before drinking the first cup of coffee of the day...
>> :)
>
> What reasons can there be to swap to RAM?

This was indeed a very interesting question.. short answer, RAM compression.

Memory that has not been active (and hopefully, doesn't need to be
often) can be stored in ram in a compressed form, significantly
increasing the load you can put on a system that doesn't have real swap
space but limited memory (such as, running the GUI installer, which is
what ubuntu uses it for)