Grub1 is like coming home

Glenn Holmer shadowm at lyonlabs.org
Sun Apr 4 11:45:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 10:52 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 04/04/2010 08:54 AM, Glenn Holmer wrote:
>
> > http://lyonlabs.org/grub2.jpg
>
> What's the entry details of your
> "main GRUB menu"  ?

That machine has 16 operating systems on it, and for those that use
GRUB, it is installed in the boot partition's boot sector (including
Karmic).  So to each of those I added a menu entry to chain back to the
"master" GRUB loader in the MBR in case I pick the wrong one.  For the
Karmic in that photo, I just added these lines to 40_custom
in /etc/grub.d:

menuentry "main GRUB menu" {
    set root=(hd0)
    chainloader +1
}

The "master" GRUB (older version) is installed in its own small
partition, although I've seen examples of doing that with GRUB2 as well
and will eventually get around to doing it myself.

--
"The text is only a proposition." -Pierre Boulez
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682) http://www.lyonlabs.org