Upstart problem - apache, ssh daemon not running

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Sun Apr 4 08:01:47 UTC 2010

Tom H wrote:
>>> The contents of /etc/network/interfaces might be interesting.  Is
>>> loopback configured correctly?
>
>> I don't know what this file is supposed to contain by default.
>
>> Mine only contains these two lines:
>
>> # Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
>> # /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
>> ~
>>
>> I *think* (but may be wrong) that it shouldn't matter because loopback
>> should be configured by default (anyway, loopback works - only the
>> services don't get started).
>
> No. And this is the problem. You have to have an entry for lo in /e/n/i:
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

I have now inserted these lines, as stated, but actually loopback *has*
been working all the time - which is why, probably, that the services
were started fine with the previous version of upstart.

ANd as I said, I wonder of the /e/n/i file got to be empty in the first
place - I never edited it by hand. Maybe some earlier version of the
setup process didn't require the lo commands there?

Though for me, this question is rather of academic interest now, since
inserting the statements solved the problem for me :-)