Manual fix of Grub2 impossible

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 05:46:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I wanted to on a machine I was setting up for someone just
> yesterday. Grub2 autodetected the system restore partition, labelled
> it as Windows Vista and put it in the Grub boot menu. I wanted to
> amend the label to say something like "System Restore - DO NOT USE"
> but AFAICS in Grub2 there is no way to do this. I can edit grub.cfg,
> sure, but the next automatic update cancels and replaces my changes.

> This is a major PITA and combined with the absence of any friendly
> graphical Grub2 editors I could find makes Grub2 a real nuisance to
> me, at least.

My post was an April fool's post and as an extremist counter-point to
Karl's irrational anti-grub2 rants.

Regarding ext4, Ubuntu/Debian/GNU's grub1 cannot boot from ext4.
Fedora 12/13's grub1 can. So if you want to have some "fun" you can
get the source or the rpm and build a deb...

Regarding the system restore partition, I don't understand why the
grub developers have not included some code in
/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober to ignore these partitions. I had posted in
the past an edit to that file to enable NoOp to remove his system
restore partition from his grub2 menu. If your partition label is the
same as his, you can use the same commands
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-February/210439.html
but this change will be overwritten without warning if an update
grub-common has a new 30_os-prober...

Regarding update-grub, everyone seems to have forgotten that grub1 had
one and that it ran after, for example, a kernel update. But, AFAIR,
it only updated the entries within the "AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"
boundaries.

Regarding a GUI editor, I agree. Since Ubuntu's target user base is
theoretically non-techie, Windows-switchers, a grub2 GUI editor to
change the /etc/default/grub variables, change the order of the grub2
menu entries, and perhaps even the names of the entries is
essential... I had tried startupmanager in the past and, IIRC, it has
not been adapted to grub2; it sill uses vga values and edits grub.cfg
directly. :(