TV under 9..10

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Apr 3 19:51:34 UTC 2010

Grizzly wrote:
> Card in slot
> So it looks like ALL I have to do now is
> run lspci to find card info
> find the driver in DVB dir (if its there in for my kernel)
> maybe upgrade kernel
> recompile kernel
> run ?scan [with tranmiter name] to put the channels in a list
>  (current?) run something else to process data from above (to put
>  channels into card firmware?)
> repeate 2 steps above every time channels are changed
> If I want to record there  are even more steps

Well, the info on linuxtv.org more or less explains how to do it if you
have compiled your own kernel without the necessary module. The Ubuntu
kernel comes with all available DVB modules, so you usually shouldn't
have to compile your own kernel. Only if your card isn't working out of
the box and the development tree has the working modules, you would
compile the necessary modules (but not the entire kernel).

As your card isn't brand new, it should be supported already out of the
box. And I wouldn't do the scan thing either. Instead I would suggest
to install kaffeine which can scan for DVB channels. However for DVB you
may also need the packages "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and "linux-
firmware-nonfree".

Then start kaffeine and go to "Television" -> "Configure Television". On
the "General Options" tab change the recording and time shift folders.
On the "Device 1" tab (which only exists if your card is found and
working) select the source (your location) and click "OK". Then press
"c" and click on "Start Scan". When it has finished scanning, select the
channels you want to use from the "Scan Results" and click "Add
Selected", then click "OK".

Nils