Upstart problem - apache, ssh daemon not running

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Apr 2 13:34:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 10:57:55AM +0200, Carsten Agger wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 07:49:11PM +0200, Carsten Agger wrote:
> >> I can post any further info which might be relevant to the problem.
> >
> > The contents of /etc/network/interfaces might be interesting.  Is
> > loopback configured correctly?
> >

> I don't know what this file is supposed to contain by default.

Mine has

  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback

and I haven't touched it after installing Ubuntu 9.10 (desktop).

I have upstart 0.6.3-11.

> Mine only contains these two lines:
>
> # Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
> # /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
> ~

loopback is missing; that's a plausible explanation for why you don't
have ssh/apache/cups.

> I *think* (but may be wrong) that it shouldn't matter because loopback
> should be configured by default (anyway, loopback works - only the
> services don't get started).

Interesting.  Do you have any idea what might be bringing it up?
Because I don't (and I don't like mysteries, in general).

  grep -w lo /etc/init.d/* /etc/init/*

doesn't show any ifconfig lines.  Could it be Network Manager?

> At all rates, right or wrong, I haven't edited this file by hand.

How did you install Ubuntu here?  The ifupdown package's postinst script
should be creating it for you with the loopback entries, and on upgrades
it should check for a missing 'lo' entry and add it back.

So, going back to the problem: upstart 0.6.3-10 has this in
/etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf:

  start on filesystem

while 0.6.3-11 has this:

  start on filesystem and net-device-up IFACE=lo

which means that even if your system is somehow bringing up the loopback
interface, it's not telling upstart about it.  The script that's
supposed to tell upstart about network devices coming up is
/etc/network/if-up.d/upstart.

I would suggest that if you added the loopback lines to your
/etc/network/interfaces, your problem would go away.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure ifupdown

should do that for you.

Marius Gedminas
--