Grub 2 information

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 12:05:13 UTC 2010

On 04/02/2010 05:43 AM, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 05:09 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> To do this on Grub2 it was simple and it is not changed by normal
>> events. What you do is edit menu.lst and put the item you to boot
>> automatic in position 1, oh, excuse me it is position 0 now.
>>
> You seem to be confusing GRUB and GRUB2 here, but if it's the "default"
> parameter you are describing, the entry counts from zero in both.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#grub%20%28/etc/default/grub%29
>
> "As with Grub Legacy, the first "menuentry" in grub.cfg is 0, the second
> is 1, etc."
>
> The numbering that changed was for disk partitions (see text starting
> with "NOTE"):
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#User-defined%20Entries
>

>> I went to the Grub web page and I entered a
>> bug on grub2 which is that is almost impossible to manually change any
>> thing and the Grub2 manual has zero examples of what to do.
>>
> Not seeing it, what's the ID?

     I did not receive a number or an email telling me it was
registered. I may have have done something wrong. Will do it again.

> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=grub
>
> Apart from the above WIKI page (which does contain examples, and has
> been pointed out quite a few times on this list), have you seen this
> tutorial?
>
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
>
> Agreed that GRUB2 is not as easy to work with, but saying that it's
> impossible rather than learning how to use it is not the answer.

     I have had a hard time with grub2. I figured out how to boot
another item automatic but needed the proper number of the item. You can
not get that from /boot/grub/grub.cfg it seems. I was told to look at
the grub on bootup and count from 0 to the item you want to boot. In my
system the number is 21. You count all the lines from 0 to your item and
I have 7 kernels for Lucid listed because I have not figured out how to
list just 2 like you can do easy in menu.lst.

73 Karl