Grub 2 information

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Apr 2 03:28:02 UTC 2010

On 04/02/2010 05:58 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> 	I am now booted automatically into Ubuntu version 8.04 as I
> desired. I had to replace the 0 with 21 to get here. You Must
> count every line of the boot menu which includes kernel lines.
> This means every time I get a new kernel for Lucid it will
> break this setup! So it is not a good solution. But it is at
> least a solution! now to improve on it, if possible.

Can you recall how that's done for grub-legacy? Did it not also break
this setup? How was grub-legacy better in this respect? Not by having to
go to /etc/default/grub? So you just change the menu.lst and 'rechange'
every time you've got a new kernel?

So, just go change the grub.cfg and 'rechange' every time time you get a
new kernel! But, nooooo, because it advises against that. Why is the
warning there? To tell us that the changes made just at grub.cfg won't
stick for next grub-update. But I am sure you know that already.

Furthermore, can you think of a better way the grub developers can do
this, either for grub-legacy or grub2? For example, can the system
magically 'know' you want 8.04 to be first boot and go about doing this?
What happens when you want the 2nd older kernel at 8.04 to be first boot
instead? Can it read your mind?

Goh Lip