lucid lynx - login screen stuck in a loop

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 2 01:26:22 UTC 2010

On 04/01/2010 08:12 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> For me the samba winbind problem caused explicit authentication error
>> on login rather than just looping on login (without displayed error)
>> and only on new users added after samba installed.  It is actually a
>> problem saving the password I think, so probably not the same bug.
>
> I know but NoOp was getting pam_winbind errors so it COULD have been
> related. There have been many updates to the bug that I have yet to
> read.

Correct. I purged winbind just to be sure (I can put it back later if
need be). That's one less problem I need to be there to try and figure
out the root of the problem.

The issue is a pam problem... just can't figure out where/why yet. The
machine has been upgraded from dapper all the way through lucid, so it's
very possible that I have some wonky config files on it. I suppose that
I could just reinstall while leaving the home files in place, but: 1)
that wouldn't help in figuring out the problem (others may have a
similar issue when lucid goes live), and 2) I'm a glutton for punishment
:-) Note: it does not appear to be a config (that I know of) within a
particular user's config files - when I set to autologin as another user
via /etc/gdm/custom.conf I get the same problem. So that would (to me)
rule out a specific user setting(s).