Upstart problem - apache, ssh daemon not running

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 14:59:05 UTC 2010

> Some months ago, these daemons - and also, unsettlingly, the CUPS
> printer daemon - stopped running automatically after bootup.
>
> This problem was related to an "improvement" going from upstart 0.6.3-10
> to 0.6.3-11, which caused the scripts in /etc/init.d/ not to be run if
> no network connection wa available during bootup - which it isn't, as
> I'm using a laptop with wireless networking.
>
> The solution was to downgrade to 0.6.3-10 and (or so I thought) lock the
> program to this version. Suddenly, however, a few days ago Suddenly,
> meaning in the last few days, the apache server and the SSH daemon on my
> laptop once again stopped running  after login on my laptop.
>
> As stated, my understanding is that the new version of upstart does this
> when there's no network connection during boot, but I have no idea WHY
> it does that - it seems illogical, as apache and SSH will run fine over
> the loopback interface and I actually do this all the time to test new
> web pages etc. Can anyone enlighten me?
>
> Does anyone know if there's a LASTING solution to this problem in Ubuntu
> 9.10?
>
> Also, does someone know if this problem is also present with the version
> of upstart in Lucid?

In Lucid, apache2, cups, and ssh are all running even when my nic is
disconnected. AFAIK they only need lo to be up, not eth0. Also AFAIK,
nmbd is the only network service that requires more than lo to be up.

I doubt that the version of upstart matters to the launch of apache2
and cups because they are both started from /etc/init.d and are
therefore dependent on their LSB headers rather than the upstart
executable(s) or a native upstart job.

I have forgotten whether, Karmic's ssh is started from /etc/init or
/etc/init.d, but in Lucid it is launched through /etc/init and only
depends on the filesystem being "up."