grub2 on partition and not on MBR

Stefano Negro stblack at linux.it
Thu Apr 1 13:22:40 UTC 2010

2010/4/1 Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>

> On 04/01/2010 06:17 AM, Goh Lip wrote:
> > On 04/01/2010 06:15 PM, Stefano Negro wrote:
> >

> >> does anybody tested Lucid beta 1 for what concern the GRUB installation
> >> not in the MBR?
> >> I see bug already opened by me.
> >>
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/546466
> >>
> > I do not fully understand your problem. Looked at your bug report and
> > still do not understand. (My english is probably no better than yours.)
> > By looking at your other message on wireless driver, I take it you have
> > Jaunty installed too.
> >
> > I'll try to make some sense out of all this and I *assume* the
> > following. Please confirm if assumptions are correct or not.
> >
> > o You have Jaunty installed and that grub is set to mbr.
> > o You've installed Lucid and that is not set to mbr, and you've left the
> > Jaunty grub set to mbr.
> > o When grub starts, you do not see Lucid 'selection', but you have no
> > problems booting up Jaunty or presumably other OS's.
> >

> > Please let us know the following....
> > o Is Jaunty (boot) grub2 or grub-legacy? (you can check at Jaunty by
> > "grub-install -v"
> > o Is Lucid partition ext4? (default is ext4), If unsure, list output of
> > "sudo blkid".
> >
> > To save some time, and quite possibly solving the problem, boot into
> > Jaunty and at terminal, type "sudo grub-install /dev/sda".
> >
> > Regards - Goh Lip
> >

>      I speak and write English well because it is my native language
> (American English).

Sorry if I was not enough clear.

> I looked at the bug and it says the user of lucid
> beta 1 could not get grub2 (the only choice for Lucid) to mount it's
> grub to a partition, not the MBR. He tried to put it on /dev/sda3
> because he has Windows using the MBR.
>
>     This means he does not understand how grub works. Grub can and will
> boot his Windows.

Hi Karl!
Yes I know that grub can boot also my windows, but my choice is to keep the
dual boot Win7+Linux with windows boot not grub, to have functioning the
restore partition working without problems.
This is why I tried to install, like jaunty, also lucid with grub in the
partition and not in the MBR.
The installer shows, on the last step of the installation, the available
devices to be selected (/dev/sda1, /dev/sda2,....) but even if you do it,
choosing i.e. /dev/sda7, I see always /dev/sda .

> 73 Karl

Thanks & Bye
Stefano