grub2 on partition and not on MBR

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu Apr 1 12:17:09 UTC 2010

On 04/01/2010 06:15 PM, Stefano Negro wrote:

> does anybody tested Lucid beta 1 for what concern the GRUB installation
> not in the MBR?
> I see bug already opened by me.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/546466

I do not fully understand your problem. Looked at your bug report and
still do not understand. (My english is probably no better than yours.)
By looking at your other message on wireless driver, I take it you have
Jaunty installed too.

I'll try to make some sense out of all this and I *assume* the
following. Please confirm if assumptions are correct or not.

o You have Jaunty installed and that grub is set to mbr.
o You've installed Lucid and that is not set to mbr, and you've left the
Jaunty grub set to mbr.
o When grub starts, you do not see Lucid 'selection', but you have no
problems booting up Jaunty or presumably other OS's.

Please let us know the following....
o Is Jaunty (boot) grub2 or grub-legacy? (you can check at Jaunty by
"grub-install -v"
o Is Lucid partition ext4? (default is ext4), If unsure, list output of
"sudo blkid".

To save some time, and quite possibly solving the problem, boot into
Jaunty and at terminal, type "sudo grub-install /dev/sda".

Regards - Goh Lip