Thunderbird fails to gather messages from var/mai/username

Peter N. Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 29 15:34:05 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,

I'm running 9.04, 64-bit on a Dell Studio laptop. Has anyone found a fix
for a problem with Thunderbird failing to set up a lock file
in /var/mail/username? I consulted Dr. Google, and it looks like one of
the developers came up with a patch for TB version 1.9 or such. I have
a later version (2.0.0.23), but I'm still getting an error message
asking me to give the directory 01777 access. It happens on the Ubuntu
repository version, as well as one directly downloaded from TB's site.
So I've chmod'd it (recursively) to do so, and I still get the error
message. I've never run across a five-digit chmod code before, either.

Anyway, I'd be grateful for some guidance on this...

With best regards,

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
            -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"