Reporting bugs about Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 26 20:33:42 UTC 2009

On 09/26/2009 01:36 AM, Detlef Lechner wrote:
> Brian Murray wrote:
>
>> If you have any specific questions or concerns please let me know.  By using
>> apport to report more detailed bug reports we will help to help make Ubuntu
>> even better!
>
> You have made bug reporting using Apport not better but worse.
> I have been reporting bugs in the past using Apport.
> I am using a current Karmic.
> Reporting a current bug now constantly keeps telling me that I have not
> the newest revisions of some programs. But Update Manager told me
> differently. Indeed, calling Update Manager manually, there are newer
> DEB packages available. After updating DEB packages the state of the
> machine cannot be reconstructed any more.
> I call this a regression.
> Secondly: The automatism which you invented now hides what's really
> going on, and I cannot make a sensible report about a crash that just
> happend.
> I am very sorry to say this.
>
> Detlef Lechner

Oh it gets even better with the 'new & improved' system... just tried to
report a bug on launchpad via launchpad without apport & guess where you
end up if you click the 'Report a bug' link? Yep:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/software-center
Click on the Report a bug link...

(wanted to file a bug that software-center removes software-store but
fails to remove the menu item for (Ubuntu Software Store) software-store
in System|Administration).

So then I decide to try the Applications|System Tools|Report a problem|
route... screen goes dark & nothing happens until I hit key.

So then I find that the *only* way I can file a report is to use apport
(via the applications Help|Report a problem). You can admire my shiny
new 1st bug report on software-center here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/437354