Network-Manager and 9.04

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 25 20:36:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 15:39 -0400, Tim Tebbit wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> >   I have been here before, and just need to recall what I did.
> > If you load NM from the LiveCD it works with just minor
> > keyring problems. But if you replace NM with wicd, and then
> > back to NM, you can't get NM to connect!
> >
> >   I have tried many things but none work. Anyone have an idea
> > how to fix this?

Have you tried a "sudo apt-get purge wicd", then "sudo apt-get install
--install-recommends network-manager-gnome"? You would probably need to
have a liveCD added as a repository source...either that, or you could
just be able to install NM over wicd and have it removed because of
conflicts...

> >   I should not be changing the thing that gets me the Internet.

lol. I discovered that as well.

> Stick with wicd
>
> NM has sucked for years.

I have had the exact opposite experience... NM has always worked
flawlessly for me since I started using ubuntu around 6.06 (though I've
never actually used wicd, so i guess its not EXACT opposite...). afaik,
NM is probably the only app that I've never managed to break. Why do you
say that NM sucks? I'm curious to try and break it now if it does indeed
have flaws that I just haven't yet discovered.

--
Andrew