OT: The semantics of the terms PC/Mac

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 25 19:09:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:30:54 +0200
Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> uttered these words:

> Guys, pleaseā€¦ do we really need this discussion here?
> Hopefully we can stop this very unnecessary argument right now, no
> matter who got the last words, and continue to help each other here,
> at "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>.
[snipped]

Well, Johnny,

I haven't seen any argument on this topic, and your description of it
as "very unnecessary" is your opinion and one that I do not share.

Also I have not seen any "general discussion", but a very specific
discussion about how a term within the Ubuntu OS and community is
perceived.  Since that community is made up of a diverse mix of
nationalities and cultures, and *Ubuntu has a philosophy which states
that:

> The most important thing about Ubuntu is that it confers rights of
> software freedom on the people who install and use it. It is these
> freedoms that enable the Ubuntu community to grow, continue to share
> its collective experience and expertise to improve Ubuntu and make it
> suitable for use in new countries and new industries.

and therefore it implicitly embraces new countries and ethnic groupings
so it is just the sort of question that should be raised because it
brings into question whether something new is in line with the
philosophy of Ubuntu, and that is directly in line with "Ubuntu
technical support".

We do not all live in the U.S.A. and we are not all bound by its laws
or moral perceptions, yet other discussions (one of which about the
technicality of the legal term 'criminals' for Microsoft employees)
appeared in this list and was **NOT** sent to Sounder, yet applied to a
limited number of legal jurisdictions (ie "The semantics of the terms
PC/Mac").

If this sort of question is barred from the list, can somebody indicate
where it should go, and so should any other discussions that focus
primarily on matters in the U.S.A.?

--
Graham Todd

Please, no MS-Office documents -