WebCam Cannon powershot A520

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 25 17:54:06 UTC 2009

On 09/24/2009 09:40 PM, Knapp wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 3:10 AM, NoOp <snip> wrote:
>> On 09/24/2009 05:35 AM, Knapp wrote:
>>> Hello, I have a Cannon Powershot a520. I know in MS I can veiw what
>>> the video camera seen like on the computer screen. I was trying to
>>> find out how to do this with Ubuntu but having no luck at all. I have
>>> found a few links to stuff but they are always 3 years old or dead.
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> What happens when you plug the A520 into your computer? Do you show it
>> as a mounted device via Nautilus? If so, can you browse the camera files
>> & copy the video from the device to your computer?
>
> Yes it does see and mount it but as the wrong camera.

Not sure, but these may help:
https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=Cannon+Powershot+A520

  https://launchpad.net/bugs/339563
[Unable to mount Canon cameras via USB (Jaunty)]

I can get the
> pictures from the camera but it often fails on the first few tries and
> then it works and gets all the pictures without error. I have seen the
> same error mentioned when googling but no fix.

That sounds like a usb issue. Check your dmesg/message logs immediately
after it fails to see if you can detect what is happening.

> It will only see the camera if the camera is set in view picture mode
> but not in take picture mode. With MS you could take pictures and
> video with the computer using the camera.

Can't help you there... I only have an A75. However it sounds to me that
the software that comes with the camera for Windows is designed to
accomodate the take picture mode. My A75 will mount in view picture mode
but unmounts in take picture mode - which I think/thought is pretty
standard.