[Karmic] Heads up

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Sep 25 11:58:27 UTC 2009

Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 20:34 -0400, Tim Tebbit wrote:
>> Google "software store"
>
> I prefer using Wikipedia as long as google shows sponsored links.
>
> A quick look at the results shows that only the Ubuntu "software
> store" uses the term as developers meant it to be, hence it doesn't
> count in this argument.
>
> Those entries I checked all use the term store as a place where
> things are sold.
>
> my 2ยข
>   Siggy

For the record, I prefer Add/Remove Software, but I understand why they
might want to switch to the Software Store.

It has little to do with technical definitions, and much to do with user
conditioning.  The simple sad truth, for decades, (in Windows),
Add/Remove software is either where you go to uninstall something, or a
dangerously technical knob you don't touch.  I've seen many people new
to Ubuntu and Linux completely fail at understanding that this is where
you should go when you want to browse for new software, and instead go
to google first and get lost trying to download packages.  I even know
one person who is all excited at trying Ubuntu for the third time simply
because he saw screenshots of the new Software store.  I've tried
explaining that it makes no difference to how the packaging works in the
back end, but he's convinced that this 'new' store will make the woes
he's had in the past installing stuff go away.

It's purely a psychological thing.  Thanks to the combined effort of
Microsoft and Apple, the "Add/Remove" is considered useless geekery and
the "Store" is where you go to find good software, either free or not.