Ubuntu and static IP address

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 11:31:55 UTC 2009

Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 05:45 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
> [snip]
>>> "last I recall".  It's trivial with network manager.
>>>
>>     Do you have a static IP address on your computer now?
>>
>>     Please send cat /etc/network/interfaces and let us see what
>> is simple.
>
> It appears my instructions for doing this didnt make it out of the
> inbox...here they are.
>
> To change existing connection:
>         Right click on NM > Edit Connections > (select your connection)
>         > Edit | IPv4 Settings
>         Set "Method"  to Manual
>         Under addresses, click "+ Add"
>         type in your desired IP, netmask, and gateway
>         Click "Apply".
>
> To make a new connection:
>         Right click on NM > Edit Connections > (select your connection)
>         > Add | IPv4 Settings
>         Set "Method"  to Manual
>         Under addresses, click "+ Add"
>         type in your desired IP, netmask, and gateway
>         Name the connection.
>         Click "Apply".

	This sounds right. I was a bit put off by the web page that
said network manager is broken in 9.04.

	All the stuff about changing /etc/network/interfaces is not
correct. I guess some people think they got the right results
with changing this file. My results were 100% bad.

	I will re-install NM and see if this really does work. I am
curious.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI