[Karmic] Heads up

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 24 20:44:49 UTC 2009

2009/9/24 Andrew Farris <flyindragon1 at aol.com>:
> On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 16:06 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> [snip]
>> Also, there are definite (and I'd imagine deliberate) connotations with
>> the iTunes app store and Android Marketplace. The problem with that,
>> IMO, is that these are both seen as repositories of pay-for software,
>> with some gimmicky free stuff in there, too.
>
> This was my first thought as well, when I saw the name.
>
>> I thought "Add/Remove Applications" was a perfectly apt title, since it
>> described exactly what the application it linked to did.
>
> +1

+1 from here also.
The fact that there has been this discussion about the meaning of the
term Software Store shows that at least some consider that it does not
convey the required meaning.  Others may say that it is obvious, but
it is patently not obvious to all.
This raises the question whether the term Add/Remove... under
Applications conveyed the required meaning.  Can anyone point to any
ambiguity here with this term?  If anyone clicked on it would they be
surprised by the result.  Would a new user coming from Windows be
confused by this?  In fact why is it necessary to change it at all?

Colin