Question about Oracle and sqlplus

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Sep 24 19:40:41 UTC 2009

Steve Flynn wrote:

> I thing you want something along the lines of
>
> cartoon_sounds =
>   (DESCRIPTION =
>     (ADDRESS_LIST =
>       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dbhost.it.okstate.edu)(PORT =
>       1521))
>     )
>     (CONNECT_DATA =
>       (SERVICE_NAME = the service name on the database you're
> attemtping to connect to. Your DBA should be able to tell you this.)
>     )
>   )

Looks right _iff_ he has a TNS listener - and I don't think he does unless
he's actually installed the full Oracle database (oracle-xe IS available
from Oracle as a .deb).  On my own system, I usually find it easier to
connect to explicit connection strings: ie, practically anywhere that you
can specify a SID or SERVICE_NAME, you can also specify the DESCRIPTION=()
string given above.
--
derek