rsync filters

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Thu Sep 24 19:09:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 13:34 -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> What really does not make sense to me, is that I have excluded all toplevel
> directories. Yet there is different behavior from some as compared to others.
> Eg, /bin wants to be deleted, /sys does not. Yet, they are specified in
> *identical* syntax.

Another possibility is the way -F works.  It looks for .rsync-filter
files in each merged directory.  I'd see if there are any
extraneous .filter-rules files lying around.  It appears you really want
a single configuration file with all your exclude rules.  You can use
the --exclude-from=FILE for this purpose or if you want the more general
--filter syntax you can use the "merge" filter rule to point to a single
filtering file.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and