Ubuntu and static IP address

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Sep 24 17:20:07 UTC 2009

David Curtis wrote:

> Yes,yes,yes. If the router is not on a class C subnet it can
> possibly have a 0 or 255 as the last number. But that is more than
> likely not the case in a home device.
>
> And of course I should have said 'in the last octet', IP addresses
> can most definitely have a 0 or 255 in the first 3 octets. I stand
> corrected.
>
> What I should have said was 192.168.2.0 or 192.168.2.255 are
> impossible addresses for a home setup.
>

> Dave

I apologize for being anal. I once had to change the addresses on a
10.0.0.x network (default from Microsoft SMS, in those days) because a
network engineer setting up a completely unrelated tunnel of some sort
believed that never having an IP address of 0 meant you couldn't have 0
in any of the octets.