manually build mysql and sqlite3 gem for ruby?

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 14:19:23 UTC 2009

I was able to use mysql with ruby until updating, removing and re-
installing a few packages.  Now it's broken in what appears a chronic
way.  Also, sqlite3 doesn't seem to install either.

Generally, this is a ruby problem.  However, I'm curious as to what the
Ubuntu approach is.  I notice that more than a few gems are duplicated in
apt-get.

Build the gems from source with make?

I've not found good, recent sources as to what the problem is nor the
solution.

root at ARRAKIS:~#
root at ARRAKIS:~# gem install sqlite
ERROR:  Error installing sqlite:

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb install sqlite
checking for main() in -lsqlite... no
checking for sqlite.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
	--with-opt-dir
	--without-opt-dir
	--with-opt-include
	--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
	--with-opt-lib
	--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
	--with-make-prog
	--without-make-prog
	--srcdir=.
	--curdir
	--ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
	--with-sqlite-dir
	--without-sqlite-dir
	--with-sqlite-include
	--without-sqlite-include=${sqlite-dir}/include
	--with-sqlite-lib
	--without-sqlite-lib=${sqlite-dir}/lib
	--with-sqlitelib
	--without-sqlitelib

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite-2.0.1
for inspection.
Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite-2.0.1/ext/gem_make.out
root at ARRAKIS:~#
root at ARRAKIS:~# gem install mysql
ERROR:  Error installing mysql:

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb install mysql
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lmygcc... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
	--with-opt-dir
	--without-opt-dir
	--with-opt-include
	--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
	--with-opt-lib
	--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
	--with-make-prog
	--without-make-prog
	--srcdir=.
	--curdir
	--ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
	--with-mysql-config
	--without-mysql-config
	--with-mysql-dir
	--without-mysql-dir
	--with-mysql-include
	--without-mysql-include=${mysql-dir}/include
	--with-mysql-lib
	--without-mysql-lib=${mysql-dir}/lib
	--with-mysqlclientlib
	--without-mysqlclientlib
	--with-mlib
	--without-mlib
	--with-mysqlclientlib
	--without-mysqlclientlib
	--with-zlib
	--without-zlib
	--with-mysqlclientlib
	--without-mysqlclientlib
	--with-socketlib
	--without-socketlib
	--with-mysqlclientlib
	--without-mysqlclientlib
	--with-nsllib
	--without-nsllib
	--with-mysqlclientlib
	--without-mysqlclientlib
	--with-mygcclib
	--without-mygcclib
	--with-mysqlclientlib
	--without-mysqlclientlib

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1 for
inspection.
Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.8.1/ext/mysql_api/
gem_make.out
root at ARRAKIS:~#

thanks,

Thufir