OT: The semantics of the terms PC/Mac

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Thu Sep 24 11:03:48 UTC 2009

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:29:06 +0200
> Odd <iodine at runbox.no> wrote:
>
>> Some of us don't have the luxury of being idealists. Some of
>> use need to use Windows to put food on the table. So please
>> get off your high horse and try to understand that things work
>> differently in the real world. It's not as easy as you imagine.
>
> I fail to understand the high-horseyness of refusing to be a part of
> criminality, whatever the source.

Well, that's your problem. You're not a part of criminality just
because you use an operating system. That's just silly.

> Would you work for the <insert your
> own term for organized crime here> just to put food on your table if
> there were other places to work (and there are)?  Same-same with
> Microsoft, ISTM.

You're being naive. If you exlude every job where you need to use
Microsoft, there are few options left, especially in IT. Like I said
not all have the luxury of being idealists. You do, apparently.
I resent your holier than thou attitude to people less fortunate
than you.

> Yes, this /is/ the real world and I /am/, hopefully, a reasonable
> influence on my own children.

Your deluding yourself and them and gravely exaggerating the
situation. You're actually doing your kids a disservice.
Hopefully they won't become zealots like you.

> I wouldn't want them to see me catering
> to criminality in /any/ fashion.  Don't you feel that way about your
> own influence on your children's lives?

No. I tell them the truth and let them choose for themselves.

> Really, is it so wrong to call this as I see it when the facts bear me
> out?

It's wrong when you're being fanatical about it. The world isn't
black and white.

--
Odd