[Karmic] Heads up

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Thu Sep 24 09:39:04 UTC 2009

Hi!

Amedee Van Gasse (Ubuntu) wrote:
> On Thu, September 24, 2009 06:43, Andrew Farris wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 20:50 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> 3. Applications|Add/Remove has been replaced by "Ubuntu Software
>>> Store".
>>>
>> I think it's kinda inappropriate to call it a 'software store' since
>> you're not actually buying anything... It could give the wrong
>> impression to new users that have constantly been told that they dont
>> have to pay for anything, ubuntu is free, etc... they they log in, and
>> see this 'software store' thing and think oh look...theres the catch...
>>

> A store is only a place where you can buy things in North America.
> Everywhere else in the world a store is a place to store things.
> Synonyms: storehouse, warehouse, storage, depot.
> Compare with the French magasin (originally from Arabic via Italian),
> which means warehouse, but also means shop.
>
> So actually software store is very appropriate for a non-native speaker
> like me. English is only my third language, after Dutch and French.
> I particulary like the dual meaning of warehouse/shop.

Agreed. And... a software store is a place where you store software.
It's a storage area for software.

It's very common in the IT world to use the term "datastore" to refer to
the place where data resides. Where it is stored. Storage is what you do
to put your data in a place where it can be retrieved and used. Data and
software are just bits. They are treated equal. :)

It's very appropriate.

Gilles.