Ubuntu from source

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Sep 23 21:55:18 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>
>> Not really, the ubuntu repos include source for all packages, as
>> required by GPL.
>
> Strictly speaking, the ubuntu repos don't have to include source for any
> package they don't modify - they just have to tell you where you can get it.
> Practically, it's easier to put all the source on their own repos.

Strictly speaking, you are wrong.  Forgive me if I don't quote you
directly from the GPL, since I'm lazy, but Mephis ran headfirst into
this problem.  Distributing a binary of a GPL program, modified or not,
requires that you make the source available to the recipients of the
binary.  You can comply with this by including a written offer to send
the source for a nominal fee, but it turns out it's just easier and less
complicated to simply include the source with the repos.  It's not
sufficient to just rely on upstream.  (after all, upstream is under no
obligation to keep offering the version of the source that you happen to
have packaged.)

That being said, even for non GPL stuff, Ubuntu project does comply with
Open source values in spirit as well as obligation, (though not as
purist as Debian.)  The source for all packages in Main and Universe
should be readily available.  The caveat, of course, is that Ubuntu
includes some packages that are not available as open source (such as
proprietary video drivers,), which obviously, you won't be able to build
from source packages.