suddenly filling of hd and no access to x

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 22 02:57:56 UTC 2009

On 09/21/2009 07:13 PM, Accessys at smart.net wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, NoOp wrote:

>> > not useful at this time.
>>
>> Please bottom post on this list:
>
> that was the bottom.

You're correct... my apologies.

>> Why would knoppix not be useful? You stated "but don't have
>> permissions to delete any files or empty trash". With Knoppix you can
>> pretty much do anything regarding permissions on a drive and/or partition.
>>
>> Regarding your drive filling up; what do your logs show? You should be
>> able to access those from the Ubuntu liveCD, booting into recovery mode,
>> or Knoppix.
>
> won't boot into recovery mode....tried.
> can only get into terminal or on live CD.
> isn't knoppix another flavor of linux or is it on the live CD???

http://www.knoppix.org/
click on the Brit/US flag for english.

Knoppix is a liveCD that pretty much just seems to work on every system
that I've used it with. The only issue I have with it is that it uses
kde, but still very useful. Given that you are using kde (kubuntu 9.04)
anyway, it will be familiar to you. Mount the drive(s), add a root
password, and off you go. Note: I _believe_ you can do the same from the
Ubuntu liveCD, but I've no experience in using it with a kubuntu liveCD.

Either way; what do your dmesg, syslog, messages etc., logs show in
/var/log? In one of those you should be able to see what the issue is.

There was a thread on this similar issue awhile back (suddenly filling
of hd), but I can't seem to find it just now.

> Bob
>

> -
You might try dash-dash-space for sigs :-)

> end
<snip>