ubuntu 9.04 installation failure

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 11:55:02 UTC 2009

Peter Crane wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>
> I had a miserable failure trying to install ubuntu.
>
> Please help.
>

> I am running a PC desktop (unbadged but put together by a reputable Computer
> shop) with Windows XP SP2 Home Edition.
>
> It has an AMD Sempron processor LE 1100 with 1.91 GHz and 960 MB RAM.
>
> The single hard drive is partitioned as follows:-
>
> C:    Windows software & stuff that finds its way there without being asked.
>
> D:    Software that I have installed.
>
> E:     49 Gigabytes.  This is where I am trying to put ubuntu.
>
> F;     User documents (mainly)
>

> I produced a CD from the install file (ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386 from
> virgin-media) and ran the installer from the CD, selecting the second option
> (to install ubuntu as a dual-boot system *inside the windows* environment.
>
> .
>
> The installation seemed to go without any problems and I rebooted into the
> new ubuntu.
>

> I got some OK system messages until I got to:-
>

> A panel called Checking the installation, Installing system,
>
> Formatting swap space in partition #1 of /host/ubuntu/disk…
>

> Then it seemed to freeze.
>
> No blinking lights
>
> No change for 25 minutes!
>

> The installation did NOT ask for any input from me.
>
> I retried it a couple of times.
>

> Please help.
>

> Regards,
> Peter Crane

	Sounds like you have mixed up the Ubuntu loader. The system wants you
to load Ubuntu on the C: drive. Did you do that?

	A much better way to have both windows and Ubuntu is to load Ubuntu
into it's own partition and make a swap partition. You need to get the
LiveCD for an i386.

karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI