problems with virtualbox audio pulse-audio the culprit??

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sat Sep 19 11:15:03 UTC 2009

I have serious problems in the audio part of vbox with the guest W XP.
First when using the default pulseaudio driver and ICH AC97 sound is
severely distorted with a lot of rumbling constantly.
Using Soundblaster 16 (the other offered card) doesn't work.
The best I found to use is OSS and ICH AC97.
But when I run a a rather big music notation program, when playing the
written music the sound slows to a crawl and the processor used (4-core
AMD) goes to 100%, stays there and and the music playing goes slower and
slower, making it completely useless.
Using pulse-audio in jaunty (i.e. playing youtube videos) goes without a
problem.
I asked the question in the virtualbox list but I haven't had until now
a suggestion where the problem may be.

HW: 4-core AMD Phenom II; mem: 4 GB; OS; jaunty; vbox 3.06.
I hope somebody here has a suggestion as I need this setup urgently.
I hesitate to remove pulse-audio as it works OK in jaunty and it is
rather drastic, I think.
Joep