remote desktop problem

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 22:16:07 UTC 2009

On 09/18/2009 01:32 PM, komputes wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> On 09/18/2009 12:44 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> Get the fusion-icon, at least for Hardy.  Right click and choose your
>>> manager from the list.
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>>>

>> I will check that out.
>>
>> Is there a command line way to do it?  If I don't know that I will need
>> to access my desk computer I might not click the icon.  What I'd like to
>> be able to do is set up the ssh tunnel with port forwarding, from that
>> command line, turn off compiz remotely, then start the VNC viewer.  Is
>> that possible?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --PE
>>

> First port forward port 22 to your computer using your router
> administration web page.

Right,  I have not done this yet because I am still testing inside my
LAN.  This is to be the last step, that way if there is a failure, I
know it has to do with the router port forward, and not the rest of the
setup.
> Use OpenSSH to (-N) Keep the line alive/open, and bind (-L)
> (client_side_port)<remote_host>(remote_port)
>
> ssh -N -L 5900:192.168.0.4:5900 user at remote.ssh.host.com

<remote_host> ??  As I understand it, the ssh server will interpret
localhost to be itself anyway.  Wouldn't the syntax you gave be if I was
going doing "laptop ssh -L 5901:remote-ssh-server:5900
<user>@<some-desktop-that-isn't-ssh-server>

Also, the syntax I gave DOES work, the problem is connecting to the vnc
client.  Thanks though, it really helps me to think these things through.

(And since I have not done the forwarding in my router yet, i cannot
test the syntax you suggest until tonight, but I will when I get home.)

> In this case we will create a tunnels for vnc by logging into
> remote.ssh.host.com as user. All requests to localhost:5900 will be
> tunnelled through ssh to the remote host. Whenever a connection is made
> to these ports, the connection will be forwarded over the secure ssh
> tunnel. If you are using System > Preferences > Remote Desktop, your
> repote computer will need to be logged into gnome to be able to log into it.

Right, and that is the problem.  Because I get the password prompt from
the builtin client, but authentication fails.  So it appears that my
problem is that that vnc server and I have a disagreement over what the
password is supposed to be.

--PE