very slow deletions on ext3 USB drive

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 18:13:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT) wrote:
>>> Problem is, it is taking literally hours to remove each backup
>>> directory. Why is this so? Is there any faster way than "rm -fr" to
>>> remove a directory? Should I use a different filesystem type next
>> time?
>>
>> [snipped Karls advice to copy everything to a new drive and format the
>> original - not entirely sure what this was supposed to achieve other
>> than moving data unnecessarily]
>
>        BIG SNIP
>
>        Your advice is way too complex. I know how to do it with my advice.

If you find my advice to mount the filesystem with two additional
parameters "too complex", then really you shouldn't be attempting to
give any advice to anyone. All you suggested was cloning the drive to
another drive and then formatting the first one... what does that
achieve precisely?

The OP asked for a means of deleting files more rapidly. You got him
to clone the drive. Genius.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0