Video query

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 21:05:57 UTC 2009

On 09/17/2009 04:26 AM, Winton Vandepeer wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols at comcast.net
> <mailto:p.echols at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/16/2009 05:29 PM, Winton Vandepeer wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     > has anyone any ideas as to software to make up a dvd from a camera
>     > that doesn't have
>     > a firewire connection ?  Camera JVC   G series  GZ-MG730. (inbuilt
>     > hard drive)
>     > My personal Video camera has a firewire connection and I can use
>     Kino,
>     > but I cannot get this to capture
>     > from a usb connection.
>

>     You mean to get the videos off of the camera so you can load them into
>     Kino?  I googled the camera you gave and found an article that
>     included
>     this:
>
>     "If you ignore the software on CD you will see the camera as a memory
>     stick and be able to copy/paste the videos and photos to your computer
>     freely which is very nice."
>
>     Article is this one
>     http://www.hdcameraguide.com/camcorder/jvc/jvc-gz-mg730-hd-camcorder
>
>     Have you tried this?  What happens when you plug the video camera in?
>

> Hi Patton,
> haven't got the camera yet, have been roped in to do this by relatives,
> wanted to be prepared so as to not look like a total idiot. I have had
> a short look at the camera, but
> couldn't see a firewire socket but may be wrong.

Right, no firewire, but according to the website USB, presumably of the
2.0 flavor.  You may want to ask them to bring their cables with them.
Some cameras use a non standard cable for the camera side connection
that may not be a part of your kit.

You will also want to make sure that they bring you the AC adapter /
battery charger and all those cables!
I had a similar issue with my nephew's camera (can't remember specifics,
but a video camera)  It would record using  battery of course, but would
not connect to  a computer without AC power!  It was not a software
issue on  the computer side. The camera recognized that it was operating
off of battery voltage (about 3.x volts) rather than the higher
"charging" voltage (about 5.x volts for that camera) that the adapter
provided and refused the connection.

Good luck with it.  I always love it when people see me do something
with my cameras or computer and assume I am an expert.