OT... but a little networking knowledge desired

Michael Comperchio fazoogled at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 20:02:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 15:43 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> Michael Comperchio wrote:
> > The obvious answer is to pay some guy to rewire
> > the house. Not Going To Happen. Next answer is me rewire the house, also
> > NGTH. So I though that I would buy a 5 or 8 port switch, attach it to
> > the cable modem, patch the switch into 5 or 8 of the already run cables,
> > and attach the wireless to the other end of the most advantageously
> > exposed spot. But, before I did this, I though I'd ask... can I put a
> > switch in front of the wireless router? like so:
> >
> > cable modem ----> switch ---> patch panel ----> wireless router?
> >
> > Michael.
> >

> Another obvious answer that I think would work well for your particular
> situation is an Ethernet Electrical outlet bridge.  This is a somewhat
> expensive solution (I think the units cost $80 a piece, you need at
> least 2 to be useful,), but would allow you to bridge the wired network
> segments into rooms that don't have cat 5 cable over the house
> electrical wires.  really cool tech for these kinds of situations :)

Well, after a quick trip to Staples to check out the prices, I'm kinda
torn. The electrical circuit solution is 'cool tech' (thanks Rashkae) or
the repeater.... both cost about the same and seem to involve the same
level of hardware knowledge (plug it in an play it!). Seems to me I used
to know more about this stuff. Wonder what happened to those brain
cells. Is that electrical curcuit stuff really good for 85MB throughtout
as it claims? if so I think that's what I'm going to do. That's way more
that any wireless get's anyway!

Thanks for everyone's response.... life is good!

Michael