/lib/terminfo gone

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Sep 17 15:05:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 04:32:03PM +0200, Daniel Albuschat wrote:
> when people reported trouble with the services on our Ubuntu 6.06.2
> server, I noticed that no curses-programs are working anymore
> (including screen, aptitude, clear, many many more).
> They all report different errors meaning the same: The terminfo is not
> available. I looked into /etc/terminfo and README told me that I
> should be looking in /usr/share/terminfo. There are only symlinks
> there, which are all pointed at non-existing files like e.g.
> /lib/terminfo/x/xterm.  When I looked at /lib/terminfo, the directory
> was a *file* instead of a directory, displayed yellow in coloured ls
> output (these are devices, right?).

Sorry, I don't remember the colours.  ls -l will print the type of the
thing as the first character.  But it isn't right -- I suspect
filesystem corruption.

> Sorry I don't have the exact ls
> output anymore, but it definitely looked strange; for example it had
> no permissions set at all.
>
> Now I'm facing the problem that I have to restore this terminfo
> directory and have no clue about where to start.
> Do you  have any idea how I could accomplish this?

Run fsck on the root partition (after mounting it read-only), then
reinstall ncurses-base.

Marius Gedminas
--
> find /lib/modules/2.4.17-expt/kernel/ -type f|while read i; do insmod $i; done
You're sick.  I like you.
        -- Andrew Morton on lkml