can I "just" apt-get dist-upgrade

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Wed Sep 16 22:39:59 UTC 2009

Oliver Grawert:

> Am Mittwoch, den 16.09.2009, 21:10 +0200 schrieb robert rottermann:

>> I am new to ubuntu and inherited the support of an Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS box.
>>
>> on that computer there was never an upgrade executed.
>>
>> now I am a bit afraid to just apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
> right, dont do that ever on an ubuntu system you want to move from
> release to release,

OK, but what makes you think that the OP wants to upgrade to a newer
Ubuntu release?
Actually, I'd consider apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade a rather
sensible thing to do, since "6.06.1" seems to indicate that the box
hasn't been updated for quite some time ("6.06.2" was released January
2008).

--
Regards
  mks