where is the firewall?

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Wed Sep 16 19:42:46 UTC 2009

NoOp schrieb:
> On 09/16/2009 11:52 AM, robert rottermann wrote:
>> first: where is the firewall, how do I configure it?
>>
>> iptables -L shows nothing.
>>
>> if there is (as I am afraid) no firewall, how is the access from the internet
>> block (the box is is used as a webserver).
>>

> $ locate iptables
> /sbin/iptables
> etc.
>
> If it's not there (should be):
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/iptables
>
> You may also find these links helpful:
>
> <http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2009/06/03/getting-started-with-firewall-builder/>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/index.html
> [Server Guide - HTML, PDF]
> https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/serverguide/C/index.html
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/serverguide/C/firewall-configuration.html>

thanks for your quick answer

sorry, I was not precise enouth.
iptables is installed but there are no rules

/sbin/iptables
iptables v1.3.3: no command specified
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
root at ubuntu60664m:~# /sbin/iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

does that mean, that there i no firewall on this system?

robert