Follow up Question Was: Re: Virtal Machine preferences?

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Wed Sep 16 15:55:38 UTC 2009

On 09/16/2009 06:08 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:
>

>> Thanks again to all the good insights from all who responded.  I ended
>> up with the Virtualbox PUEL version.  It really is easy to install if
>> you are not fussed about the non-free parts.
>>
>> Follow up (Hijacking my own thread?)
>>

> You can hardly hijack a thread when your post is in a new thread (ie, there
> is no "In-Reply-To" or "References" header...

Well, I didn't check the headers, but I did reply to my own message and
"change" the subject . . .

>> Since it is still windows, it will
>> be susceptible to virii just like a hardware box.  But everything has to
>> go through the host system, so would clamav on the ubuntu host protect
>> windows?  Or does it need it's own av solution?
>>

> It depends what access your VM has to the 'net.  If it can browse the web
> and get email, etc, clamav won't help unless everything's proxied through
> the host.

Thanks Derek, and everyone else who replied.  The Windows applications I
will use are not properly "internet" applications, but get grumpy if you
"unplug the wire."  I guess I'll search around for a lightweight scanner.