Sync Software Recommendation Needed

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Wed Sep 16 13:43:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:05 AM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali at gmail.com> wrote:
>  At my job I need to work at different places and on different computers but
>    same software development. What is the best software to
>    sync the software on machines with my portable external hard drive ?
>    Someone suggested DropBox but probably it require installation on all
>    machine with root password and that I don't have.
>    Software with GUI to tell which files have been modified and showing the
>    differences will be great.

Sounds like a  situation for a revision control application like
subversion or bazaar or git. The files stay in a central repoistory
(typically) and the clients are synced with that or can push changes
back to the repo. There are windows and *nix clients available.
Subversion is client-server, so not sure that is optimal. Bazaar works
locally or uses ssh/sftp for remote push/pull. In either case, there
is full revision history with logging, diffs, etc. I don't like GUI
tools for file managment so can't recommend any.

--
Hal