Blender 3d 2.5

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:24:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > Sorry, I didn't know you are on 8.04 - I searched with 9.04. But it
>> > seems you found the needed library after all.
>>
>> No, I did not.
>
> Sorry, I thought that libopenexr2 was a working replacement.
>
>> It would seem that even though aptitude knows of
>> libopenexr2, it does not seem to be there or maybe it does not work,
>> not sure but I am sure that libopenexr6 is not there and I don't know
>> how do get it. But I have not done Andrew's link yet. BTW I am not
>> installing from source but I did try it before without good results.
>
> I just checked with apt-file if there is a libIlmImf.so.6 in 8.04 but
> there isn't. Now the question is, from where did you install blender
> 2.5? As there is only version 2.45 in the standard repositories for
> Hardy, I would assume it is from some ppa repository. But then there
> should be the necessary library available at the same location.
>

> Nils

Why hardy is still at 2.45 is beyond me.
Even 9.04 is running only 2.48.
What is current and stable and works well with even 8.04 is 2.49b.
2.50 is cutting edge beta that I would expect to have problems with.

2.5 is a total rewrite of blender with the gui completely redone. All
those that want 3d but had problems with the gui should check out 2.5.
The GUI is totally customizable as are the hot keys. Can't wait to see
what users make with the new system.

The new system has power that is reaching the point of being BETTER
than the commercial packages. There are not to many open source
programs that you can say that about. I am sure that within 2 years
Blender 3d will be the best 3d program that there is, bar none. As it
is firms are starting to include Blender in their software stack
because it is the best at certain functions.

>From the download place for Blender test builds.
http://www.graphicall.org/builds/

I did get that build help for the CVS link to work so I now have a working 2.5!
Thanks all.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?