Laptop Vista wifi fix

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 01:38:07 UTC 2009

Hi Karl

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 04:49:22 Karl Larsen wrote:
> 	If you own a laptop made in the past year or so by Hewlett Packard, and
> want to put Ubuntu on this computer there is a major problem. HP has
> written software that controls the wifi hardware, turning it on when
> booting up, and off when booting down. This is the software called:
>
> 		C:\Program Files\Hewlett Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.EXE
>
> 	You can disable this software by not starting it. You turn off the
> starting by finding Control Panel >> Administration Tools >> System
> Config, and then click on Startup. At the end of the list is a line that
> begins HP Wireless ... and the little square in front of this has a
> check mark in it. Click on the check mark and it will go away.
>
> 	Since your on Vista you have wifi. Reboot to your Ubuntu and you will
> see wifi now works on your Ubuntu! I have been back to Vista many times
> today and it seems to normal. It gets wifi and a whole lot of updates. I
> don't have Vista up much.
>
> 73 Karl
>

> --
>
> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> 	Linux User
> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.
>          Key ID = 3951B48D

Didn't see a prev post with same title (may have missed it) so not sure if
you're refering to me or another wireless thread a saw earlier as well.
Mine's an ASUS system so it don't help me. Then again may not have been aimed
at me. However I started to look to see if there's something similar on the
ASUS laptop. Nothing seen there

James