Wireless does not see Internet [was: PSK recovery?]

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 00:58:41 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 15 September 2009 12:02:21 Fred Roller wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > Just tried that and can ping the router from every system with the
> > exception of the non working one. Thx for the idea tho
> >
> > James
>
> If your router is older than vista then try the following if you can:
>
> shut down all the PC's and the router.  Turn the router back on and let
> it come back up, then *only* turn on the Ubuntu PC.  See if it gets it's
> address and then gets out to the internet.  Then bring the other systems
> back up.
>
> There are some reports that Vista made some changes to the UDP traffic
> and older routers or routers not updated with new instructions will
> cause malfunctions in the network traffic.
>
> Outside of this we may have to turn our attention to your router.  DHCP
> is working because you are getting an address.  The gateway is being set
> to the router 10.1.1.1 All the other machines be name(mygateway1.ar7)
>
> --
> Fred
> www.fwrg

Hi Fred

Alas that didn't work. It's a pitty I can't test the wireless off the live cd
else I'd have tried that too. It still gets the dchp and I just installed
hard-info on that system hoping to see what the wireless chip is thinking
maybe a driver issue? didn't see the chip info but I see it's sent and
receiving info over time. And interestingly vista and ubuntu have shared that
laptop for over a year without any wireless before this. The other thing I
think might be a partially corrupted system so am considering (but don't want
to if I can avoid it) is a complete reinstall. Still looking to the router
wont hurt ;) Maybe it's there

James